Saturday, January 4, 2020

Presence is key

It is a new year and I am powerfully embodying intentions for my evolution as a human. 😂

While I'd like to go off on a tangent of heart-bursting affirmations here, I am going to keep it real for a moment.

I am talking about self-regulation. Yes -- I am a parent to a toddler who is at the brink of discovering emotions, physical independence and thus regulating all of this. It came to me, in the desire to be a wiser, kinder, more successful parent, what would happen to ME if someone shut down Netflix abruptly as I was happily munching away on my avocado naan toast? Yes, I might lose my zen! "How dare you!?" And how unaware is it of us adults to surmise (I am loving this word these days) that children aren't supposed to say, "Hey there! I was watching Netflix, you know, at least you could give me the respect of a warning before you cut of ma show!!"

In quiet moments, once the noodle is fast asleep in dreamland, I can reflect and realize that with compassion I can observe that my child is a pro at focusing on one task, so deeply, once they are engrossed until their mind alerts them to the next big thing to explore. Being more observant of these nuances will help my kid and I relate to each other better. 

Being a parent is akin to meditation. It's a practice. In the hair-pulling tension of a tantrum, if I keep remembering my child as a state of growth and wonder then I can hold space for this little before me.

In gratitude for presence :-)


No comments: